Wednesday 3 August 2011

Beginnings

So what is structure? Firstly, I'm not convinced it would exist without us. Secondly, I imagine it to be a way our brains can cope with reality.

Our world can be broken down. First to parts, then to the elements, then to atoms and so on. So we humans needed away to see. And so we made groups. If things moved together, or were similar colors, or were attached together, they became structure.

To start the 'exploration of structure' I'll need to figure out how to manipulate these groups. The plan is to look into qualities such as position, contrast, size, rotation, size, composition and anything else that a can make a pattern out of. Ultimately, I hope to find one or two elements that I can change to make new unexpected structures.

To start, here is a pattern made with Ben's pattern maker. For me, it's the first use of while loops and transparency.

No comments:

Post a Comment