Monday 3 October 2011

Multidimensional

Philosophy and Exploration

In the first lecture for sound-shape Ben showed us many examples of sound and form in unity.  I hope to cover some of these and other examples in later blog posts. For now I would like to cover some of the different ways I could approach this project. The ideas that that initially occur to me are a beat box, a music visualiser, a sound visualiser or an interactive piece that reflects real life sounds.

The most obvious to me is to create a beat box. It works great as an interactive toy and there are endless possibilities.  Perhaps gravity could change the sound of an object depending on how high it drops. I also have an idea (expounded upon later) that would involve placing bells on the canvas and objects on ropes colliding to create interesting sounds.

The visualiser, if I could get it to work, would have the advantage of if sounding great, which is much more difficult in the case of the beat box. I think I shall probably avoid this as the level of interactivity would be low.

The final category that comes to mind is an interaction that reflects real life objects.  This involves taking a familiar sound and reflecting it through abstract imagery. While slightly more limiting than the beatbox concept, it could be really interesting to experiment with the emotional aspect of sounds.

The possibilities of the examples above show how much more effective designs can be with the added dimension of sound   

IMG_0023

No comments:

Post a Comment